[LargeFormat] Idiot/grafmatics

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 9 13:44:33 2002

> At 10:56 AM 12/9/2002 -0500, Hornford, Dave wrote:
>
> Which is why I use good old fashioned Grafmatics. And Quickloads. No
> possibility of mechanical failure or double exposures.
>
> :-)
>
> Jim

Jim,

While there's litte possibility of double exposure, certain Grafmatics can
lead you into shooting blanks.  There are two versions of the Grafmatic
(ignoring the different mounts and format sizes)
On the 6th shot the early version moved the counter to X and locked the
septums up and the darkslide up, but did not lock up the magazine, so you
could still "push and pull" the grafmatic, even though nothing was
happening.  Under normal circumstances, this would be noticed, but in a
high stress situation caused by, say a dirigible in flames, or topless
ladies in waiting, it could  pose a problem.  The later version added a
second lock and when the Grafmatic hits X it's locked up completely.   The
model numbers are the same.