[LargeFormat] Re: Jobo 3000 Series Expert Drums

Skip Roessel largeformat@f32.net
Sun Dec 8 14:47:11 2002

You could craft your own "sponge on a stick": attach a suitably large ball of
clean (cotton) rags to the end of a 14-odd inch piece of dowel rod or scrap
moulding; the outer layer ought to be clean flannel with no cut edges exposed.

I moisten my sponge stick with clean water (distilled or demineralized,
ideally) and then cover it with a piece of lint-free paper towel... the brand
here in the US is "Bounty Sparkle" which is relatively lint-free, intended for
cleaning windows and glass.  Perhaps a piece of chamois skin would work as
well.

This arrangement leaves only a thin film of moisture which drys away in a few
minutes.  It may or may not leave a fibre or two, but they wouldn't scuff film,
and in any event, the chemistry and washes that follow will leave the film
perfectly clean.

Much more important, I've found, is that the chemistry and especially the final
wash water be perfectly filtered, so I send all the wash water and water for
chemistry through a paper coffee filter before use, and after the wash is
finished do a final afterwash with about 250ml of distilled water before
pulling the negs, sponging them and hanging to dry. Since then, no drying spots
on the base side, nor dust or specks in the enlargments.  I've been told never
to use a detergent-style drying agent like Photoflo in styrene Jobo equipment,
as this chemical clings tenaciously to the plastic.  A half-pint of distilled
water seems a reasonable expense for five perfect negatives.

Skip Roessel
skiproessel@mindspring.com