[LargeFormat] Old style films

Skip Roessel largeformat@f32.net
Mon Dec 2 12:11:20 2002

Well, there was a banquet camera called the Cirkit (sp?) that spun (panned
horizontally) the lens around by clockwork drive, and at the film side a
revolving slit followed it.  Or perhaps the film rolled by on a motor drive, I'm
not sure.

They were made for film in various heights, eight and ten inches were two of
them... by however wide.  I think the film was supplied on a long roll, and the
finished negs were contract printed of course.   So this camera might introduce
some motion blur on parts of its negative.  You see one for sale every month or
two on eBay.

These were responsible for many of those panos of the teens and twenties, those
giant gathering shots of people, especially companies of WWI troops.  One way to
recognize them is that the camera rendered horizons and architectural lines in
arcs, which doesn't happen if the film is exposed flat in one plane, like a
Korona Panoramic.

If not motion, sometimes those old lenses had some cool spherical aberrations
that made an impressionistic brushstroke feel to detail in the corners.  If you
want to fake that, try adding a simple close-up lens to your view camera lens,
which will "uncorrect" it (and shorten the focal length).  There was an article
about six months ago in View Camera Magazine (allow me to plug my favorite
reading) about improvising taking lenses with simple elements, like close-up
diopters.

Skip Roessel
skiproessel@mindspring.com