[LargeFormat] sheet film developing

hairy possum largeformat@f32.net
Sat Nov 23 11:40:34 2002

Hi,

I use the Combi tanks for my 4x5 film.  B&H has them
for $59 I believe.

Someone posted an idea for filling them quicker some
time ago, I will recap it for you now.  It really
makes filling the tank lots quicker.

When you put the top on the tank, make sure both
spouts are on the same side of the tank.  To fill the
tank, lay it on its side, with the spout at the bottom
of the tank pointing upwards.  Take the caps off both
spouts, put the funnel on the spout that is pointing
upwards.

Now you can pour your chemicals in, and there is no
slow down waiting for the air to come past the ingoing
liquid.

This was not original with me, and I thank whomever
posted it originally.

What I have done now is accumulate enought tanks over
time that I have the chemicals in the extra tanks,
turn off the lights, remove the rack from the tank
holding the film, insert in the developer tank, then
the stop bath tank, then the fixer tank.  All this is
done with the lights off.  However you can turn the
lights on if you put the top on each tank immediately
after you insert the rack holding the film into each
tank.

I recently bought a couple of plastic containers from
Wal Mart for around $4 each, I put the stop bath in
one and the hypo clearing in the other.   I chose
those because 1. the stop bath step is quickly done,
2. the hypo clearing is done after the negs are fixed
and washed, so the light won't hurt the film then.

I hope this helps you, if you have questions, please
email me, or post to this group, I usually get here
every day.

Good luck, good shooting.

Lauvone

=====