[LargeFormat] Older Photographer Dressed in a Top Hat

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Wed Nov 6 03:16:00 2002

Dear Brock,

     No, it was not me in the advertisement - the only time I appear on the
screen in an advertisement is the one with the frozen chicken and the
trebuchet. I have already apologised to the convent and promised to pay for
the window.

    The question of costuming came up the other evening when I addressed a
meeting of camera collectors. I ws complimented upon my appearance in formal
attire. This is a great ego boost until I remember the last art exhibition
when I was complimented upon my hairstyle. It had not been cut for a month
or washed for a week. I am still trying to figure out what it was all about.

    What to wear when we take our pictures. I have reviewd a number of
historic texts for the 1870 period and have put together a decent
gentleman's wardrobe that takes me out in the bush or out on the town.
Fortunately I have access to a lot of the American sutlers who supply the
Civil War reenactors and these are a great sorce of warm and durable goods.
Local manufacturers make some items that are remarkably close to the early
patterns but are in general use here in the country - trousers are a good
example and boots another.

    Shirts are a problem if the manufacturers make the collars too stiff or
too weird. I have been known to clip them off and resew soft collars.

    BUT - what shall I wear with the Mighty Shen Hao? All suggestions
gleefully received. Best suggested outfit wins a prize....truly rooly.

    Uncle Dick

PS: Nanson and Wolz are ineligible for this prize as they are recent
winners.