[LargeFormat] General question

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Fri Sep 13 19:36:23 2002

At 3:45 pm +0200 13/9/02, Alex Le Heux wrote:
snip
>Hi Clive,
>
>My mistake, confusing f32.com with f32.net.
>
>Unfortunately I don't find f32.net's terms of use any friendlier:
>
>"3.3 You shall retain ownership of all copyright in data and images you
>submit to the Website. You grant us a world-wide exclusive, royalty-free,
>non-terminable licence to use, copy, distribute, publish and transmit such
>data in any manner."
>
>(Taken from http://www.f32.net/terms.html)
>
>Cheers,
>
>Alex

Hello Alex,

Well, that clause is there so that, for example, f32 can display
members' photos  that they place on the Forum or in the forthcoming
galleries and so that (again, for example) that image can be placed
on the front page of the web site by the admin as a direct link to
the member's gallery.

It also protects f32 from any claim of copyright infringements and is
the legalese recommended. Given the size of the images available on
the web site it should be clear that there would be no option of f32
using the photos in publications outside the web site.

The legalese protects both f32 and the f32 photographers.  This is
not a profit making business - in fact it has been running at a loss
for the last two years and requires time to administer..... We have
introduced the "Supporting Associates" programme to raise funds for
the further development of the site and the facilities offered to
members and non-members.

Legalese is by its nature unfriendly but the overall aims and goals
of f32 are friendly!

The bottom line is that the terms and conditions are at least
explicit (unlike many web sites) so that there is some basis on which
to make up your mind whether you want to contribute or have your
photos on the web site.