[LargeFormat] Releases, privacy and practices - OT.

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Fri Sep 6 06:57:02 2002

Hear hear, Mr. Blackman,

     Good posting. The actions of the heritage society sound like the same
thing that some of the local councils do here - hedge owners of properties
in with so many restrictions that no change to the appearance or function of
a property can be done - rendering some areas unrepairable and unsalable.
Even the sniff of a design that might have been taken from a famous
designer's ideas has been used to justify complete non-ownership control
over someone.

     I rejoice that my house is a 1985 spec design with no merit other than
the fact that I live here and can be viewed at selected hours.

    Uncle Dick

BTW - on the subject of privacy and the camera - has anyone had the
experience common to the use of the smaller formats of extreme sensitivity
by the precious to any photography? ie. " You can't take my picture, if you
take my picture I'll take your fim, I got my rights, etc".

    I have experienced this in several costume societies and have evolved an
answer to it when it is in regard to the smaller cameras. Basically I tell
them that I will defend the camera with my life and as I have already lived
fully and reproduced I am quite willing to die or be killed right now.
Pulling out a bowie knife at this juncture seems to conclude the discussion
and I snap away happily. Never had the same business when the 4 x 5 was on a
tripod. Do we look more official or less intimidatable?