[LargeFormat] plastigmat lens

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Thu Aug 22 08:25:06 2002

the patent that Richard mentions discusses the possibilities of 4
element lenses, (no mention of lens names, as that would be limiting)
with some positive and some negative elements and their positions.

 From this same patent Ed Bausch brought out the Unar.  Their was a
codicil amending the patent when it was discovered that one of the their
combinations turned out to be the Protar. The codicil acknowledged that
Zeiss had the patent on that combination and they quickly backed away
from it.

A few years later they brought out the PORTRAIT Plastigmat, and the
Portrait Unar.  While the Portrait Plastigmat was a different animal
entirely, the portrait unar was the same design with an expensive
mechanism to shift the second and negative element back and forth.