[LargeFormat] provia film jamming in Film holder

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Mon Aug 19 18:50:19 2002

At 07:04 AM 08/19/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>I have been in Spain for the past two weeks, and very nice it was too! I did
>have a problem with Fuji Provia film, in particular it jammed several times
>when I was replacing the darkslide after taking a shot, on one occasion I
>managed to make a hole in the slide! (tough stuff, Fuji film) I had no
>problems with FP4. Anyone else have this problem? Is it heat related? (the
>temperature was in the 30s, probably the 40s in the sun).
>
>I developed the FP4 yesterday with no problems. Bear in mind this film went
>through the hand luggage scanner at Stansted and Alicante airports, I didnt
>bother asking for hand searches as both were very busy with holidaymakers.
>There is no evidence of fogging, borders are perfectly clear. I will report
>on any issues with E6 after I've developed it.

  I'm not sure I'm reading this right or perhaps understanding it right.
Are you refering to ordinary sheet film holders or to a readyload/quickload
type holder?
If standard type film holders, I've never had problems with the darkslides
due to film type. I have had sticky slides due to a build up of crud in the
slots they fit in (I have some pretty old holders). Cleaning these helps.
  I also lubricate the edges of darkslides with wax which helps them run
smoothly.
  Since the slide surface is separated from the film by some distance I
don't see how the type of film could affect the movement of the slide.
That's why I think I may be misinterpreting your question.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com