[LargeFormat] How to measure thread sizes?

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Mon Aug 19 18:01:06 2002

You'll need a thread guage and a dial caliper.  Shop around, it amazing
the variability of prices on dial calipers.You can by Sterrett and
Mitutoyo for over $100, or you can find off brand and used for $25-50

Unlike Ken I prefer the dial over digital.  my local machinist's supply
sold me a metric and english dial caliper for $40 and I don't need to
replace the batteries every time I want to use it.

Thread guages shouldn't be expensive either, yes you can get Starrett or
Brown and Sharpe but off brand works as well.

there are three major types of threads found on lens flanges,  Metric,
English, and the British came up with Whitworth. Whitworth still uses
threads per in, but the angle is different they show up on some Ross,
Cooke and Dalmeyer occasionally.  For now get the english and the metric.

Yes a Machinery Handbook is handy, but buy used. New they cost almost as
much as a McKeown's Price guide to cameras!  used they are in the $20
range. YOu don't have to get the newest either. I have a 4th
editon(1914) and a 24th edition(1982) and for our use they are the same.

Lathe's are handy too, but more expensive yet, and most of the time
can't be put in your office (Prof Andy Davidhazy and his office not
withstanding)