[LargeFormat] Seneca 5x7

Rich Lahrson largeformat@f32.net
Thu Aug 15 21:56:04 2002

Hi Les!

     And thanks for the suggestion about the extention box with the
packard shutter.
My first lens will probably be about 7 inch or 180mm.  I'll look for
something older.
I need to pull all this together soon.  Did Kodak make a 7 inch Ektar
and would this
cover 5x7 with some movements?

     I looked at a few B&Js that had 24 inches of bellows in the same
price range.
But they are larger and heavier.  If I like the 5x7 format after a year
of using it,
I'd like to upgrade the camera to a Deardorff which I believe has 24
inch bellows.
This particular Seneca is attractive and will resell easily (geez, I
haven't even gotten
it yet).

Rich Lahrson
Berkeley, California
tripspud@transbay.net

  If there's a shortcoming to this camera it's the limited bellows.
Since
  9" is more or less normal for 5x7, you'll be maxed out with 10-12"
lens
  for portraits.  If you live or plan to shoot any landscapes, sometimes
  14-15" lens comes in handy.  From the limited photos, I don't think
this
  was designed to use an extension rail, (didn't see the holes for it)
and
  at this point I'll assume the bellows will be maxed out with what the
  camera has now, so making a set of rails would mean a new set of
  bellows, so that's out.
  If you do decide on getting longer lenses, then I suggest paying the
  money to have an exention box made.  it could be as little as 4" and
  effectively adds 4" to the bellows, you put it on between the
lensboard
  and the camera, It could even employ a packard shutter.
  Les