[LargeFormat] A better way

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Wed Aug 7 11:26:00 2002

From: "Hornford, Dave" <Dave.Hornford@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:55:15 -0400

I need a better way for many things. Some I have improvements underway,
some only need a multi-million dollar infusion of cash, others behaviour
modification, and on some I am truly lost...

On the topic of truly lost, I need a better way of developing 4x5 & 7x5
E-6 pictures. I tried a commercial establishment, I tried a second
establishment, and using BTZS tubes. But am looking for a better method
of developing them in my darkroom. Development tends to be in batches of
8 (remarkably coincidental to the capacity of a Fuji QuickHolder)

I have heard talk of Jobo devices. Reading indicates that these may be a
sterling answer - however my research has left a quandary: regular Tanks
or Expert Tanks. I have two competing predispositions - first a CPA-2
with an expert tank and second a CPE-2 without an expert tank. The 165%
price variation makes me wonder.

I look to your experience, or the experience of those you may know
about, or your opinions unsullied by practical experience.

Dave Hornford
"Where do you store the time you save?"
    --- Anon

Greetings Dave,

I heartily recommend the Jobo processors.  Personally I use a CPP-2, but
would recommend that you consider the CPA-2 as a minimum.  Sure, you can
process 4x5's in a CPE, but you can't use the Expert series drums.  I've
heard talk of potential uneven development in non Expert drums with sheet
film, but don't have any first hand expereince.  What I can tell you is that
with the Expert drums I get absolute even processing of 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10
film, while processing B&W, C-41 and E-6.  While you're only doing 4x5 now,
you may want to consider the future.  As for the price, yes they're more
expensive, but I'd recommend you watch e-Bay as they come up regularly and
at a fraction of the new price.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards, Pete