[LargeFormat] Pyro Tips Wanted

Richard Knoppow largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jul 27 20:47:03 2002

At 05:56 PM 07/27/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Clive,
>    on the f32 web page
>http://www.f32.net/Services/Photographers/LeeCarmichael.html  on the top row
>second from the right (Adobe wall and door) is a pyro image (8x10)  one the
>bottom row the seascape is pyro and on the same row the church door interior
>is a pyro neg.
>
>    There should not be any dire warnings about sodium metabortate.  The
>dangerous chem is pyro in part A.  if you get any developer on you it can
>enter the body thru the skin.  Wash area liberally post haste.  Don't breath
>the stuff when mixing Part A.  About metaborate:  it is related to borax.
>in the states we can substitute 20 Muleteam brand borax for metaborate.
>Kodak used to call it Kodalk.  That is the K in PMK.
>
>lee

  Metaborate is a combination of Borax and sodium hydroxide. Borax is not a
substitute for it.
  Kodalk is Kodak's brand name for metaborate made by a process patented by
them. Other brands of Metaborate do as well.
  Search Google, Mike Gudzinowicz posted instructions for mixing Borax and
hydroxide to make the equivalent of metaborate.
  Pyro does not do well in Borax solution.
  The main danger of Pyro is breathing it in when in flake form. Once in
liquid solution its not that dangerous although you should avoid getting
you hands in it.
  Nitrile gloves are better than latex for two reasons:
1, Many people are alergic to latex.
2, Its less pervious to many chemicals.
  Disposable Nitrile gloves are available in cartons for not a lot.
----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@ix.netcom.com