[LargeFormat] Black and White Enthusiast magazine

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jul 27 00:55:56 2002

|      You must give your readers some idea of what you are referring to
when
| you say Brisbane or Fortitude Valley. Many of them are from the right side
| of the tracks and will never have seen anything like it. I leave it to you
| to describe the locations but will remind readers that we are talking
about
| Queensland here and if they are sqeamish now would be a good time to look
| away.

I suppose this is true!  It is probably sufficient to say that my father in
law always offers to take me to the Red Garter in Fortitude Valley, but when
it comes to put words into action, the mother in law puts the brakes on the
plan...  I'm not game to go on my own ;-)

|     As it is, you have raised a good point about the quality of
| publications. When I was a teenager and buying photo magazines in the
stands
| they had to have 2 things:
|
| 1.     Pictures of girls with no clothes on.
|
| 2.    Real articles about how to do new things.

Knowing you as we all do, I would think that (2) was intended to be applied
to the subject of (1) ?

|      I still get the first in some of the magazines but the second is
| becoming rarer. Particularly when it comes to anything at all to do with
| darkroom work. I daresay this reflects the currne fad for making trite and
| derivative images with a computer program, but I still want to make trite
| and derivative images in chemical solutions and I am not at all fussed if
| there are a few hairs and dust spots on there as well. I even accept
| fingerprints as long as they are pretty.

I found Photo Techniques was good for, of all things, techniques!  But I
don't find I'm motivated by that publication anymore.  Black and White
Enthusiast doesn't seem to cater to any particular format, just to black and
white.  This month, 'Making Archival Prints - Part 2' is the first article,
another is a review of a new Infra-red book.  Some portfolios and an article
entitled 'Seeing Pictures'.  And through it all, advertisements are
conspicuously absent.

|     In my local newsatorium we have a 5:1 ratio of digital to traditional
| photo magazine and only 3 regular naked girl magazines. One of these
| features article after article about whose pictures were auctioned in New
| York for 8 zillion dollars - interesting if you are in that market but
| hardly so out here in the scrub.

So many magazines are filled with fluff and advertisements, it gets rather
tedious skimming for content!  You can decide which type I'm referring too
;-)

|     For sheer readability good old Popular Photography or the English
| Amateur Photographer are still the best. But I still like to read a good
| naked girl magazine....

I'm surprised that no one has commented on having seen this publication.
Decent magazines about this subject are so few and far between I can't
believe others haven't picked it up!

Brock