[LargeFormat] Black and White Enthusiast magazine

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jul 26 02:31:16 2002

Dear Brock,

     You must give your readers some idea of what you are referring to when
you say Brisbane or Fortitude Valley. Many of them are from the right side
of the tracks and will never have seen anything like it. I leave it to you
to describe the locations but will remind readers that we are talking about
Queensland here and if they are sqeamish now would be a good time to look
away.

    As it is, you have raised a good point about the quality of
publications. When I was a teenager and buying photo magazines in the stands
they had to have 2 things:

1.     Pictures of girls with no clothes on.

2.    Real articles about how to do new things.

     I still get the first in some of the magazines but the second is
becoming rarer. Particularly when it comes to anything at all to do with
darkroom work. I daresay this reflects the currne fad for making trite and
derivative images with a computer program, but I still want to make trite
and derivative images in chemical solutions and I am not at all fussed if
there are a few hairs and dust spots on there as well. I even accept
fingerprints as long as they are pretty.

    In my local newsatorium we have a 5:1 ratio of digital to traditional
photo magazine and only 3 regular naked girl magazines. One of these
features article after article about whose pictures were auctioned in New
York for 8 zillion dollars - interesting if you are in that market but
hardly so out here in the scrub.

    For sheer readability good old Popular Photography or the English
Amateur Photographer are still the best. But I still like to read a good
naked girl magazine....

     Uncle Dick with all his clothes on