[LargeFormat] Cooke Lenses - Suggestions for Future Models?

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jul 17 12:22:22 2002

http://www.badgergraphic.com/search.asp?x=largeformat

Click the 'large format lenses' set to 'Cooke Optics' and you'll find the
lens Clive mentioned advertised for $3450US.  Which brings me to my
comment... I can appreciate that this portrait lens is rather specialized
and likely difficult to build, but that is a huge price.  They need to
be sure of their market because only a very small niche market would even
consider paying that much.  The time it took me to consider it was
measured in milliseconds.  Let's see, buy the lens or put food on the
table for the entire family for about 2 years...

I don't mean to sound negative, only that with digital manipulations etc.,
the demand can't be very high.  If it's unaffordable, then the demand will
be that much lower.  How many people work with large format equipment?
How many of them are specialized in portrait work?  Of this fraction, how
many are wanting a soft look?  Of this last fraction, how many are in a
financial position to pay this kind of price?

They have two options... make onsies and twosies of everything and sell at
a high price to collectors and a few obsessive hobbiests, or actually
compete with the big boys.  I'm guessing they're aiming at the former.
I'd be interested to hear if the marketing director confirms this.

Brock