[LargeFormat] of tripods and mountains

Robert Lawrence largeformat@f32.net
Mon Jul 8 11:53:01 2002

Alex Le Heux wrote:

> Would a Manfrotto 444 be enough for an MPP Mk VII and say a Super Angulon
> 90 f/8? Or should I get something bigger like the 440?

Alex,

I've not been mountain climbing but I do have a Carbon Fibre 443 with a
gitzo magnesium low profile head which was recommended by Robert White
-- surmounted by an Ebony. I have to say that I am delighted with this
combination and it sure makes a difference from lugging the Sinar p2 and
heavy tripod around in a 4x4!

Clive borrowed the tripod a couple of weekends ago and he was also very
positive about it - as Clive is an MPP man he'll be able to give you a
second opinion.

But as far as I am concerned - very stable, extremely light and worth
every penny.

Regards, Robert Lawrence.