[LargeFormat] keeping track of negatives

Gilbert Dumont largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jul 6 15:49:49 2002

> Sheet film I number consecutively, restarting at 1 each year.  I number
B+W and
> color seperately: e.g., starting at 2002BW45-1, 2002C45-1.  The ids are
written
> on the plastic sheet but not on the film. Each roll of roll film (OT) is
> numbered, e.g., 2002BW120-1.  When I make a print, the identication number
of
> the negative is written on the back.  For roll film, the frame number is
added,
> e.g., 2002BW120-1-6.

FWIW
I tried several methods of numbering my negatives and prints, based upon
subject, filmtype, consecutive order etc. For me the most effective way was
to use the complete date like this : yy mm dd Letter. (020522C = the third
sheet / film of 22 may 2002)

My reasons for this are:

1) Date information is stored inside the number. When I can remember the
approximate year or month the shoot took place, I just check my old agenda's
or notebooks to retreive the negative quickly.
2) Each date is unique, with a logic we are all used to.
3) Beginning with the year and the month, I can store all my negatives
3) The letter indicates the film or the sheet. I never shoot more than 26
films or 26 sheets a day. But if you do you can letter them AA, AB etc.
4) When printing I add a number behind the letter indicating the number of
the negative on this film.
5) You can add a code indicating B&W Colour or Diapositive behind the whole
number. This way it doesn't interfere with the classification.
6) Based upon these numbers it's easy to make a chronological database with
descriptions of each negative.
7) When printing I always write the negativenumber on the back, together
with the date the print was made and a the number of prints ( 4/10 = fourth
out of ten prints)
8) With a very fine archival felt pen I write the negative number on the
small unexposed border of each sheet, or between the sprockets of the film.
Since I strated this I never lost any films or sheets anymore.

One last tip. To facilitate sliding the negatives in and out of the storage
sheets, I clip off all the sharp corners with a nail clipper. The nail
clipper is quicker and less risky than scissors.

Gilbert