[LargeFormat] Light Tents in the Field

john frost largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jul 5 17:43:13 2002

This was in this mornings' issue of Agfanews......
the link is full of writing and drawings, very confusing at this early
hour. Hope it makes sense to you. I think a roll of tracing paper is in
order..... then you can leave that other roll of paper home!
john (>)

A TENT OF LIGHT
Sparkling highlights and dramatic shadows are usually desirable when the
motif is of exquisite value. A simple still
life can do without such glamour. In this situation, professionals work
with a ring flash, soft box or paper tent. The
latter tool even prevents disturbing shadows. You can make your own
inexpensive version using conventional
transparent paper. A 24" roll can be had for about 13 euros. Take an A2
sheet, roll it into a stiff cone and cut a hole
in the top. It has to be big enough to permit the range finder to focus
correctly. To make sure the background is
outside the depth of field, position the object on an elevated glass
plate. If you open the aperture wide, the
background will be outside the range of focus and blurred.

More information is provided by Charles Lewton-Brain:
http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/reflect.htm