[LargeFormat] keeping track of negatives

Michael Briggs largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jun 30 05:28:00 2002

On 30-Jun-02 Donald Seney wrote:
> I am just getting started in large format (and some medium format
> too) and for the first time I want to store my negatives so that I
> can find them.  ......   Any suggestions  would be welcome.

I store my negative in PrintFile (http://www.printfile.com/) brand plastic
sheets.  These and other brands are available from photostores and "archival"
suppliers such as Light Impressions (http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/).
The preservers are available in various sizes and numbers of negatives per
sheet.

Sheet film I number consecutively, restarting at 1 each year.  I number B+W and
color seperately: e.g., starting at 2002BW45-1, 2002C45-1.  The ids are written
on the plastic sheet but not on the film. Each roll of roll film (OT) is
numbered, e.g., 2002BW120-1.  When I make a print, the identication number of
the negative is written on the back.  For roll film, the frame number is added,
e.g., 2002BW120-1-6.

--Michael