[LargeFormat] Multi-Focus Finders

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jun 21 21:07:25 2002

At 7:44 pm -0500 21/6/02, Joe Tait wrote:
>Hello.
>
>I wonder if anyone out there uses one, and has some advice/buying
>recommendations. I'd like one in the 75-360mm (although if 480mm max. is
>affordable, that would be ideal). This is for 4x5, BTW.
>
>Is there any other company other than Linhof that makes/made them? Linhof is
>way out of my budget and would like to find one used if possible.
>
>Thanks.
>
>-Joe

Hello Joe,

I use the Linhof variety and they can be really useful when scouting
locations. They do come up on Ebay from time to time and it is
probably worth biting the bullet and paying the dosh. I sold one of
mine a while ago to an f32 member.

Other companies did make the findes or had them made for them - MPP
springs to mind, however they can fetch more than the Linhof variety
as there are not so many around.

If you want a "country" solution then a piece of black card with a
4x5 hole in it and a ruler will do the trick. Card 300mm away from
your eyes will approximate 300mm focal length etc A lot lighter and
less expensive than the optical approach, slightly less convenient
though.