[LargeFormat] CLA

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 19 13:04:54 2002

there's the "splash and dash" method, where one uses a non lubricating oil
dissolving aerosol solvent to disolve the dried lubricant. This is ususally
1,1,1 trichlorethane, or 'carbro tri-chlor'  This will soften the lubricant
and get the lens up and running in a jiffy---until the solvent evaporates
and the old lube gets sluggish again.

The proper way is to dismantle the shutter remove the old lube, dry it out
reassemble and then lubricate only where it's needed.  If you can
dissassemble and reassemble a mechanical alarmclock blindfolded then you can
do this.

When Graflex was still going, they would bring the new dealers to Rochester
for training. One part of the training was shutter repair.  they were given
a shutter to dissassemble and reassemble.  After about an hour, the leader
would look around at the frustrated faces and the jumble of shutter parts
around the tables and ask, "Does anybody have their shutter back together?"

No answer.

Then he would add the kicker, " Okay fellas, you've been at it for an hour.
Rembember this. NEVER TAKE ANOTHER SHUTTER APART AGAIN!  Send it to us we
know how!

Les