[LargeFormat] Polaroid 4x5 format camera conversion

Guy Glorieux largeformat@f32.net
Sun Jun 16 07:34:08 2002

Thanks for the perspective on conversion, Uncle Dick.

I think that what happened with the conversion of the Durst C-35 is that
you did not read the fine prints of the gelignite conversion kit.  (Or
was it one of these kits sold by Shen Hao where the instructions comes
either in Chinese or after having gone through one of these automatic
translators...)

When I was a kid playing with chemistry kits, I saw a similar conversion
kit.  If my memory is correct, it said that this conversion a one-time
affair (something like disposable cameras, you know...) and that you
must stuff ALL of the gelignite AND the negative, and  the paper into
the Durst C-35 so that the flash of the explosion can properly expose
the paper.  It is essential to have a reinforced concrete darkroom or to
work at night to avoid extraneous light from flashing the paper before
you process it the usual way.

"Et voilą", presto, you have a nice 8x10 print.

Guy

P.S.  Rich, on the eBay 8 X 10 Orbitar Super wide view camera, I think
the reason they have a focusing mount in the back is to differentiate it
from the cheap 8x10 pinhole camera model where the photographer does not
really care about precise framing of the picture and is prepared to
waste a lot of valuable film to get that one-in-a-lifetime image that
will make the Pulitzer!  -:"))