[LargeFormat] Shen Hao

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jun 14 22:30:47 2002

Dear Friends,

     Have you nothing better to do with your time than read my postings?
Goodness....

    The Shen Hao is starting to work. The darkslides have been de-firred and
the film plates made out of good old Crescent mounting board work fine.

     So far the best negatives are a result of 25 ASA - Rodinal 1:50 - 20C
at 5 minutes - little agiatation - free mammography film. I was thinking of
labeling the film Tit-X but I realised that this would get me banned from
the Sensible Shoe Forum so I didn't do it. Shhhh...

    The film for the 10 x 12 holders is a little smaller than the actual
gate so I have taken to sticky-taping it to the Crescent board and just
marking out an 8 x 10 section on the ground glass screen to delineate the
area that will be ultimately used to produce the contact print. It means
there is a fair margin round the four sides for error which considering my
eyesight is a good idea.

    8 x 10 contact printing frames are non-existant round here but I have a
good old 4 x 5 and a friendly local frame maker who I can show it to for a
copy. I think I will have it done as a 10 x 12 just in cas I get some bigger
film. I daresay there are bigger sheet films for radiography and if I can
get it to work with Tit-X I can get it to work with them.

    The Chinese lens that came with the camera is surprisingly pleasant to
use. Good definition at f.11 to f.22 and this is where I generally pitch my
exposures anyway. The Shen won't be going into the Trotter's pack for a hike
up the Victorian Alps so I can figure on a steady studio light.

    The next part to tackle is the backlash and general slop in the
movements - there is a remarkable degree of what we might call momentary
tilt in the back as the ground glass screen is folded up and over the rear
standard that throws the focus out. This can be cured with coach bolts and
an electric drill. The fit of the helices that drive the movements is loose
but I think this is a case of packing coil springs along them to cause the
parts to always stay out at the end of wherever you shift them. All
mechanics and all do-able.

    First portrait sitter next Wednesday for the Shen. Results will be
posted, albeit slowly.

     If this works, Girls, there is an article in it for the photo press. I
smell money, which is a nice change from smelling trouble, or in the case of
the baby portrait trade, far worse things....*

    Uncle Dick

*     Yes. NOW I know not to pose new-borns on an angelic white velvet cloth
and then pop off a bright flash. You could have told me what would happen.
It is hard to bleach velvet.

PS: I still don't know what Shen Hao means. I went up to some of the Chinese
nurses at the hospital and tipped my hat and said " Shen Hao" and one of
them burst into laughter, and one of them burst into tears, and one of them
hit me. Haven't had that much fun on a date in years.