[LargeFormat] Old Glass

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Jun 13 09:04:07 2002

At 19:09 11/06/02 -0400, FlaFaces1@aol.com wrote:
Clive, I have the old Graphic 2, and the non-super schnieder lenses.  I was
beginning to get a complex, thinking my stuff was garbage.   Yes, my shots so
far, are not perfect, but I like what I see.  I was beginning to believe i
had inferior lenses to do 4x5.  Thank you for your encouragement on using the
lenses that came with it, in the 1940's ..  I will soon, have my 8 images to
put on my site in the room...  Don Mason

Don,

Old glass can rival or even beat new glass - it's also cheaper and usually
lighter.  No coatings or single coatings is not usually a problem with the
older lens designs, although contrast can suffer depending on the design of
the lens.

One of the real sleeper older lens is the Schneider Xenar 150mm - very
sharp little lens although not a lot of coverage. I have one of these in a
Linhof Compur Shutter and it seems to perform well. The favorite lens in my
4x5 kit is a 1947 Kodak 203mm Ektar - loads of coverage on 4x5 and does a
wonderful job with colour. Check out the f32 Discussion Forum at
http://www,f32.net/discus/ for an example of its performance and
enlargement from a trannie.

Recently picked up an 8x10  lens made in 1903 for a camera made in 1902
which will be used as a lightweight field outfit. If people express
surprise at the age of your kit, laugh in their faces, sweep the focusing
cloth around you like a cape and say "nobody expects the antiques roadshow..."

With the money you save on buying new lenses, keep yourself in film and
processing for the rest of the year.