[LargeFormat] Was: Draggin the gear around... Now: Wheeled Tripod!

John Moore largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jun 11 19:58:25 2002

Guy & Christiane,

I found this little beauty while searching for tripod
info: the Manfrotto 7000 Roll Pod. It's a 2-wheeled
dolly with oversized wheels (about the size of those
folding shopping carts) that you attach your tripod
to. Go to www.bogenphoto.com & click on Serch, then
under Cat. No & input "7000" (without the quotes, of
course). This looks like it would take care of the
difficulty of moving around a heavy tripod & camera
setup. As for the rest of the gear, you're back to the
backpack or shoulder sling.

I wonder if you couldn't attach the shoulder straps
from the backpack to the front legs of the tripod,
about halfway up, in order to not have to carry the
backpack... Once you look at the picture of this, it
will be clear.

Of course, you COULD just drop by your local hardware
store & pick up a wheel-barrow, drill a few holes for
tripod legs & insert the tripod into the barrow. You
could be the "Jed Clampett" of large-format
photography!

John Moore
Ramona, CA

Note for our off-shore readers: Jed Clampett was the
father, played by Buddy Ebsen, who headed up "The
Beverly Hillbillies" on stateside boob-tube in the
'Sixties...

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Original message clip:

From: "Guy Glorieux" <guy.glorieux@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Dragging the gear around in
a roller, is that harmless ?

Hi Christiane,
Nice to see you on LF!
I've been wondering about the same thing as you, since
I have this 11x14 field camera and heavy-duty tripod
which I want to take outside around town this summer.
I couldn't possibly go very far without some kind of
a trolley for the camera, the film holders and the
tripod, etc... I wonder if the way to approcah it
would not be to have a separate bag to carry the lens
and shutter system (something like a small camera
bag) and a trolley/roller to carry the rest of the
gear.
Cheers,
Guy