[LargeFormat] Going on a cruise - what filters to use?

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 5 22:53:33 2002

From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 09:17:01 -0700

At 05:03 PM 6/5/2002 +0200, Ole Tjugen wrote:

>My immediate thoughts are:
>Nd grad 0.6 hard, 0.9 soft
>Polariser
>Yellow
>Orange
>ND 0.9 (for DOF control)
>Red - possibly dark red (for IR and BW)
>Blue - or maybe orthocromatic film?

Looks like you have it correct.

I personally would trade the separate yellow and orange filters for a
single yellow-orange filter. and leave everything else as you have already
stated.

If interested, a graduated orange-red filter can be used to enhance the
morning or evening sky, leaving the foreground intact. Different brands
named differently - Sunrise, Sunset, Tobac, etc...

Jim

Sorry to chime in again, but Jim's comments reminded me of trick I learned.
Cokin makes a graduated clear/flourescent red filter; I don't recall the
real name of this filter, but it's meant for artsy color shots.  Forget the
color shots, use it for B&W!  Place the graduated line on the horizon and it
does wonders bringing down the sky values, yet leaves the trees and shadows
intact.

Regards, Pete