[LargeFormat] Camaraderie

largeformat@f32.net largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 5 17:45:01 2002

Does anyone know if "Canyon de Chelle" (that seems to be listed everywhere
as being in New Mexico, but I can't find it on a map) is the same as Canyon
de Chelly in Arizona?

Schuyler Grace

Phone:        480.693.3569
FAX:          480.693.7555
CO-MAIL:        52N-AWT

-----Original Message-----
From: Clive Warren [mailto:cocam@blueyonder.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 2:32 PM
To: largeformat@f32.net
Subject: Re: [LargeFormat] Camaraderie

At 5:56 am -0700 4/6/02, Kent Gibbs wrote:
>Ditto. And lets not forget Jack Hillers, and Timothy O'Sullivan. Their
>work in the Tetons and the southwest after the American civil war is
>amazing. I can't imagine having to haul all that equipment over trails
>that mules had trouble with.
>
>See links below
>
>http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/canyon/peopleevents/pandeAMEX03.html
>http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/osullivan_timothy.html

Thanks for that Kent - one of the places photographed by O'Sullivam
is the Canyon de Chelle in New Mexico. I visited this place after
driving through some extremely inhospitable desert areas. It was a
long drive and the roads were empty. I drove around some vantage
points around the rim of the canyon but the whole time the place just
didn't feel right to me so I took no photos. After about an hour I
headed out towards Flagstaff and that feeling of dread stayed with me
until I hit the Highway. I found a road house in Flagstaff and felt
under dressed despite a large black hat bootlace tie and desert
attire. The dancing was a real eye opener though......

http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/objects/oz46709.html