[LargeFormat] Going on a cruise - what filters to use?

Hornford, Dave largeformat@f32.net
Wed Jun 5 15:10:03 2002

I standardised my screw on filters at 77mm.
One of my older lens had a ding in the front, and with the help of a
local repair ship it was straightened enough for a 58-77mm adapter to be
screwed on once. Without a wrench it won't come off; and unlike Uncle I
don't normally take a plumbing or carpentry kit with me to a shoot.  :-)

Dave Hornford
"Life is a road, and it's our choice whether we're the car on the road,
or the possum."
   --- Andrew White

-----Original Message-----
From: Ole Tjugen [mailto:oftjugen@online.no]=20
Sent: June 5, 2002 9:03 AM
To: Largeformat
Subject: [LargeFormat] Going on a cruise - what filters to use?

Hello friends;

While I sat peacefully out here on an oilrig, my summer holiday was
being=20
planned for me without my knowledge...

It seems that we (Kerstin and myself) will be attending a wedding in
northern=20
North Norway this August. To get there, we have three alternatives:=20
1) Airplane. Fast, but boring - dull view.
2) Car. 2500km each way?
3) Boat. The Coastal Steamer leaves Bergen every afternoon, arrives in=20
Hammerfest 6 days later. Six days on a cruise ship though some of the
best=20
landscapes on Earth?

We'll probably drive one way - which way will depend on the availability
of=20
boat tickets - and drive the other leg. The car can be brought on the
boat for=20
a low price.

Now for the question: As some of you may know, I have no filters at all
for LF=20
photography; and I know I should have some. What would you recommend?
I'll be=20
using about two thirds BW and the rest slides. Quite possibly I'll also
bring=20
some IR film. Lenses are Angulon 90/6.8,Zeiss Planar 135/3.5 (dinged
front),=20
APO-Lanthar 150/4.5, Xenar 210/4.5, Tele-Xenar 360/5.6 (dinged front).=20
Screw-on filters are not an option.

My immediate thoughts are:=20
Nd grad 0.6 hard, 0.9 soft
Polariser