[LargeFormat] Camaraderie

Brock Nanson largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jun 1 16:22:12 2002

|     " Who do you consider your favourite photographer? And why? "
|
|      Uncle Dick

I would have to go with Dave on this one... except my favorite is me, not
him!  Note that the question uses 'favourite' and not 'best' or 'most
talented'!  Oddly enough, what I do is what I like best ;-) , even if it
isn't very good by most people's standards.

Having said that, if I was to exclude myself from the running, I don't think
I could name one or even ten photographers in my list of favourites.  Why?
Because I look at as much photography as I can.  I love much of Ansel's
work.  I dislike some of it too.  Weston, Karsh, same thing.  Landscapes,
portraits, they all have their place.  Much of what I like is by people who
aren't known and might not do photography for a living.

If I had to pick one, it would be someone I would bet none of you have heard
of.  Dima Zverev.  His stuff is on photocritique.net.  I urge you to take a
look.  Not just at one, but at a few of his images, because some of it you
won't like.  This guy has the best eye of anyone I've come across.  And
works with very unsophisticated gear.  Two of my favourites... 'just dogs'
and 'downtown'.  But plenty more are as good or better.  This is what I like
about photography... doing what one likes best, without concern of what
others think.  Words Uncle Dick lives by I'm sure ;-)

Brock