[LargeFormat] Camaraderie

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Sat Jun 1 07:46:34 2002

Dear Loren,

     Finding a good list to lurk on is a fine art. Even better is finding a
quiet time on the list ( " You are! " " No, You Are!! " NO, YOU ARE DOUBLES
AND NO RETURNS!! " and similar adult interactions...) during which time you
can make a debut. Large Format is a good choice

     What do you say when you first post? If you have a genuine technical
question like how many rivets round a rectilinear you can ask it and sure
enough someone will be able to either accurately quote the original factory
spec. or lie so convincingly that it amounts to the same thing. In
connection with this latter possibility I warn you never to set explosive
fuses or treat weeping sores with any advice I give you....

    If you need more general advice be prepared for either useful
information or waffle. Often the waffle contains more truth and utility -
working pro photographers have a vast fund of knowlege that they often don't
get to share. See Steve Simel or Steve Sint publications for concentrated
smarts.

    If you want to start a controversy you can either bag a favourite
product ( " Woo that TMAXACHROME really sucks...etc " ) and wait for the
adherants of either brand or product to leap to the defense or you can ask
whether someone really got good value from some course or instructor.
Sometimes it is a dry hole. Everyone agrees with you and punches on to the

    But sometimes you can get the most delightful insight into others by
asking a non-threatening question that needs a considered response. Such as
this one, with which I will end the post:

    " Who do you consider your favourite photographer? And why? "

     Uncle Dick