[LargeFormat] Protar Sets

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Tue May 28 22:18:29 2002

> From: Clive Warren
>

> Les,
>
> I'm used to waiting for the right moment to take the shot - stood on
> top of a mountain for 2 hours waiting for a shaft of sunlight on Zion
> one May....

I wasn't thinking of your patience, I was considering the wind, or in the
case of that spindly Korona, the gravitational pull of the moon.

> Protars - how the hell do you focus at f18 - and "carefully" is not an answer.

A bright day helps a lot, will fully admit to 'shooting loose' and not
looking at the corners too much.  A darn good dark cloth or dark hood,
double t-shirt helps a lot.  A bright loupe, ala 50m 1.2 lens from a
Honeywell Pentax helps too. I've been told that practicing with a Hypergon
(f33) does wonders for working with a Series V protar but have yet to step
up to that kind of lens.