[LargeFormat] 8 1/4" Dagors, Raptars and Protars

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Tue May 28 18:51:12 2002

At 2:53 pm -0700 28/5/02, Eve Girard wrote:
huge snip
>I have a very nice B&J 5x7 field  that has just had a bellows-transplant and
>considerable cosmetic surgery.  It certainly has exceded my expectations for
>a field camera.  It is certain to draw a crowd of spectators when we venture
>forth.  Although my principal LF cameras are Linhof and Sinar, I must admit
>to a naughty pleasure in taking out the B&J and my little Protars and
>Dagors.  I use an 8 1/4"
>Dagor as lens of first choice.  A recent trip to the Oregon coast managed to
>produce some keepers
>(yes, Clive, some day I will post them) that make me smile.
>Eve

Seems as though we both like our B&J 5x7 cameras. I use a Wollensak 8
1/4" Raptar with mine and have found it to be an excellent performer.
Even though it is of course only single coated, it dealt with the
potential flare problems from the lit white backdrop in the studio
shot better than I had anticipated.

There is also an 8 1/4" Dagor in the lens box here that I have not
used yet. It probably has more coverage than I will ever need using
it in the field - the focus shift and small aperture requirements
have put me off mounting it on a lens board for the B&J.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing the results from your Dagor. The
Protars are interesting lenses - I'm on the lookout for a Series V in
shutter for a Korona Compact that will not take a heavy lens. The
camera was made in 1902 so the Protar seems to be a good choice,
although focusing at f18 will be a bit of a challenge. How have you
found the image quality of the Protars? Do you enlarge or contact
print?