[LargeFormat] Type 55 Polaroid and Panatomic X?

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Mon May 27 18:29:26 2002

Have just emerged from a pile of paperwork that had accumulated
during the preparation for and taking part in the Spring Workshop.
Polaroid film played a big part in the workshop and the two
additional holders I ordered for the workshop have just arrived form
the US :-) Robert and I had three between us so there we were covered
along with those that people brought with them.

Robert introduced me to the delights of Type 55 Polaroid film and I
have been quite impressed by the quality of the negs. After speaking
with Robert this evening, he informs me that he has read somewhere
that the film stock is Panatomic X. This is a film that I was
seriously considering a while ago when someone was selling bulk rolls
of 5" - it was the lack of a suitable option for shipping that
stopped me going for it. None of the carriers could guarantee that
the film would not be scanned as it would be in the aircraft hold.

I was under the impression that Panatomic X was withdrawn some time
ago. The bulk roll version is probably not the easiest film to use
for 4x5 as it is on a very light (probably Estar) base and has a
tendency to curl. Intended for aerial photography. I can see why it
would be good for Polaroid though. Seems strange that they would use
a Kodak film rather than develop their own, but why reinvent the
wheel if there is a suitable emulsion already available......

As far as I can remember, Panatomic is a 25ASA film - perhaps someone
who used to use it can confirm. It may also have been available on a
thicker base at some point.

Anyone have other sources or experience to confirm the Panatomic X story?