[LargeFormat] LF in Canada

Tim Atherton largeformat@f32.net
Thu May 23 18:20:18 2002

Well,

I dug out a few responses on my work PC...

Here they are (some maybe repeated from the current thread):

Dominique Labrosse (d_labrosse@hotmail.com) responded to a message you left
in the Large format photography bboard:

Subject:  Response to Large Format Photographers in Canada?

Hi,

I'm in Vancouver. Shooting mostly in the studio with my 4x5 but I
want to bring it up the Sea to Sky Hwy soon!

Eric Boutilier-Brown (ericbb@evolvingbeauty.com) responded to a message you
left
in the Large format photography bboard:

I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia (www.evolvingbeauty.com), and shoot black
and white on 4x5, 8x10 and occasionally 12x20. Currently I'm working
on converting my 4x5 enlarger to print 8x10...

Here in the maritimes we have a decent community of LF photographers;
three 8x10 enlargers that I know of in this city, 3 or more times
that many 8x10 cameras in at least occasional use, and 10 times or
more users of 4x5. This is a factor of having the Nova Scotia College
of Art and Design in the city of course, but outside of Halifax, we
have, among others, Jeff Amos in Lunenburg, NS (www.jeffamos.com),
4x5-12x20, and Thaddeus Holownia (http://www.holownia.com) in
Sackville, NB, 7x17 black and white and colour neg. I am of course
leaving out too many people, but we are here, though thinly spread,
no doubt.

I know there are a few of you from BC and Alberta, but it seem that i'm
almost the only one in the east.....but I think I saw a posting once from
someone in the maritimes Nova scotia or new brunswick.

Anyway hello to all our canadian friend from the little french guy near
Montreal, Quebec

Robert
Mtl, Quebec
dnaryam@videotron.ca

I'm based in Montreal.  I envy all the people on the West Coast with the
Rockies
just nearby.

As far as other LF photographer, there is one located in Ottawa (can't
remeber
his name, though) who walks around with his 11x14 field and does these
outstanding  prints.  He has quite a bit of reputation and his work is quite
pricy, actually.

Where are you located, yourself?

Guy Glorieux
guy.glorieux@sympatico.ca

I'm in Calgary
Lovely Chinook weather: +5 C today with an overnight low of -10 C
Out yesterday in Fish Creek Park (largish park in south Calgary -
coincidentally follows the valley of Fish Creek) taking photographs,
assisting a friend make the transition to LF from 35mm and trying out my
'new' Sinar. Was in the Rockies for New Years, but didn't manage any
serious photography - way to much fun on a 1.25km toboggan run from
Black Prince Cirque.
Alas, the lovely, lovely sundown was only captured on my 35mm
"lightmeter" as I had already used the one frame of Provia I had loaded.
The Chinook arch was going red with blue sky to the side.

I've managed to have a quick lunch with Brock in Kamloops, a longer
lunch with Don in Victoria (it looks like my territory responsibility
will change next week to include BC for 2002 so I'll be back to Victoria
for work). I know of Terry in Calgary & Dan in Winnipeg - both off the
list. Plan to be coming through Yellowknife on my way up to Resolute in
the summer of 2003 (the family hasn't completely agreed to Arctic
hiking).

Dave
Dave.Hornford@Compaq.com