[LargeFormat] Speed Graphic 2x3

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Fri May 17 09:04:16 2002

> From: "philip.lambert"
>
> Thanks Les, you are a mine of information.
Thanks.  As my wife puts it, "When it comes to useless information Les is
just full of it."

> My Century 2x3 has a grey body,
> red bellows and a minimum lens panel to Beattie screen of 35mm.  I am
> tempted to experiment with something very wide. At the moment I am wondering
> how to contrive a recessed lens panel for the 47mm so as to ease the
> compression of the bellows to permit more rising front. Protrusions from the
> shutter such as the cable socket make difficulties.

If you can take a look at a 58mm Grandagon on a Graflex XL. The watch
battery sized shutter is so small they had to make a remote link for a cable
release, and looong levers so fat fingered photographers could actually move
the shutter and aperture. These can be converted to fit a 4x5 Crown with a
little work and no recessed board!  Every time I've looked at a recessed
board I've come to the same conclusion-- by the time you get the shutter
recessed, there's no way to work/cock the shutter!

>The lensboard must be
> one of the smallest ever on a rollfilm camera..... Does anybody sell the
> metal lensboards with the folded edges?

Yes I know Midwest Camera Exchange sells them, other camera companies have
advertised them too. Occasionally they put them up on ebay, so that might be
a link to them.