[LargeFormat] Speed Graphic 2x3

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Thu May 16 16:27:00 2002

There were several decorative models of the Century 2x3 (technically not a
Speed Graphic since it lacks the 1/1000th shutter speed of the FPS)  but I'm
not aware of any physical changes between the models other than the color of
the leatherette (black, grey, red) and the color of the bellows  (black ,
red)

Graflex is well known for giving contradictory information and this is a
classic case in point.

In one table they show the Century 2x3 being capable of using (and I
inferred "limited to") a 2 1/2" (65mm) lens.

But on another table they list the flange focus as only 1 3/8"  or according
to my c1930 slide rule--35.5mm  Unless you are using a retro-focus* lens the
nodal point  (the point where the focal lenght is measured from) is usually
BEHIND the flange and therefore SHORTER than the flange distance.

So in theory you might be able to focus a lens shorter than a 47

*a retro-focus lens is the opposite of a telephoto. The bellows extension is
LONGER than the focal length at infinity.  This is helpful in 35mm cameras
since the mirror box would normally get in the way of very short lenses.

More than you wanted to know I'm sure, as ususal. :)

Les