[LargeFormat] 250mm Wide Field Ektar

Charles Thorsten largeformat@f32.net
Sat May 4 18:27:43 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clive Warren" <cocam@blueyonder.co.uk>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2002 5:32 PM
Subject: [LargeFormat] 250mm Wide Field Ektar

> I am now the proud and very happy custodian of a 250mm Wide Field
> Ektar lens in Ilex #5 shutter.
>
> As soon as the mounting flange arrives from Mr Grimes it will be put
> to good service on the 8x10.
>
> Apparently there was an article reviewing these lenses in View Camera
> Magazine in the first half of 1998. Does anyone have this copy of the
> magazine? I would happily pay for a photocopy of the article or buy
> the magazine if possible.
>
> Feedback from anyone using or who has used the lens would also be
interesting.

> Cheers,
>         Clive

Although I've never personally used the lens, I know it was
one of Ansel Adams' favorites.  He refers to it in many writings
including Examples: The Making of 40 Photographs.  Of course,
he refers to it as a 10-inch Wide Field Ektar, but it's the same
lens.  Much of his best work during the '30s and '40s was done
with this lens and a Cooke triple convertible set.  Perhaps
someone on this list has personal experience with it?

-Charlie