[LargeFormat] Clifton Suspension Bridge and the Wyndham pinho le camera project

Guy Glorieux largeformat@f32.net
Thu May 2 15:31:09 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete Caluori"

> I'm sure Guy will provide some great advice,
>
> The one thing I can say about pinhole photography after shooting the
same
> scene with very expensive German glass and a piece of stainless with a
tiny
> hole: "The resulting image sure doesn't reflect $1000 dollar
difference!"
> -:)

I'll get back soon with more detailed comments.  I'm just at wreck after
the weekend and I'm slowly recuperating and the house needs quite a
cleaning after a couple of weeks of postponing chores in order to get
the Wyndham project going.

The best place to get precison pinhole is Eric Renner's Pinhole
Ressources (they also have all sorts of pinhole cameras at various
prices.
http://www.pinholeresource.com/
I also highly recommend ZeroImage's multi-format cameras (120 and 4x5)
which are relatively inexpensive if you choose the basic models (there
is a competitor in the UK who used to be his distributor, seems to have
crassly replicated his cameras and sells his models for a highter price
...-:((   You may not be so interested by that supplier).

On the precision issue, I'll just say that the pinhole I used for my 12
feet by 9 feet image was handmade, checked on the enlarger to see how
clean it was.  It has given me details of incredible precisions from my
10th story hotel room.  I can actually count the chairs through a window
of an office building accross the road and I can count the rails of a
rain sewer cover on the street below, 10 floor down.

I'm just astounded.  You first look at the whole scene (which covers
about 140 degrees and then you move in closer and closer to the picture
and you see all these incredibly minute details.  And you just get
caught and can't get out of the picture.

Of course, exposure was 12 hours and anything that moves disappears from
the image over such a long period of time.  The city looks like a
gigantic abandonned "Metropolis".

The next step is to make a giant contact print from the paper negative.
This will be a lot more tricky than the making of the actual paper
negative.

I'll be posting pictures on the web in due course.

But so long friends.  It's time to go for a nap.

Take care,

Guy

P.S.  I'm told that I may have created the world's largest pinhole
photograph.  Hmmm...  !??