[LargeFormat] war story

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Sun Apr 28 20:39:46 2002

From: Les Newcomer <lnphoto@twmi.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:06:08 -0700

<snip>
In October a few years back Don Cardwell and I set out to have some fun.
the hall was long and wide, and the band shell was in the center of the long
side, so this would have to be a W I D E shot.

He got his Deardorf, HP5, and some holders. I brought my 120 Nikor SW some
#3 flash bulbs, light stands and my welders goggles.  Oh and my Crown two
Graphmatics and a pile of #5Bs.  We pre set the Deardorf on a rolling tripod
and put up the Winston Link-esque reflectors on either side. Then sort of
moved it back as far as it could go.

I made happy snaps of the couples, found out the hard way you MUST cock a
syncro-compur before putting a fresh bulb in the socket, had a good time,
got some decent pictures too. Also discovered that before the tennis craze,
they called it 'Photographer's elbow'

toward the end of the evening the band leader got every body paired up with
their partner, mushed as close to the band shell as possible, Don made a
silly speach about Henry shipping us new brighter bulbs just for this
occasion (which is when I put my goggles on)  Don opened the lens on bulb
and I stomped on my darkroom timer switch. Whooof!  The fools actually let
us do it a second time!

And yes a 120mm SW will cover 8x10, just.

<snip>

That's a great story Les and it sound like you guys had a lot of fun!

Along with the SG, I got two reflector heads, cables, etc., but the only
source I've found for flash bulbs is a bit pricey; too bad they don't make
them any more.

I not only admire the images that O. Winston Link captured, but the way he
captured them.

Keep up the good work!!

Regards, Pete