[LargeFormat] Using Hyperfocal techniques - a survey

Pete Caluori largeformat@f32.net
Thu Apr 25 09:13:49 2002

From: Clive Warren <cocam@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 21:08:53 +0100

Dear All,

Do you have favorite techniques for focusing in the field using hyperfocal
focusing? Some people print out scales for use on the camera bed, some
cameras have built-in scales on the focusing knobs (eg Sinar) and some
people use a near far focusing method using the ground glass and know where
they are with the  depth of field of their particular focal length lens and
apertures.

Do you keep the information in your head or use printed tables? Do you use
tools such as the depth of field calculator at
http://www.cocam.co.uk/CoCamWS/Services/DOF.htm

Do you have a preference for circles of confusion constants?

Greetings Clive,

When using LF I simply compose and focus on the GG.  When I need extended
DOF, I focus 1/3 - 1/2 way in, tilt, then stop down until it all comes in.
For me trying to work with scales, range finders, etc. is just
counter-intuitive and not my way of doing things, but that's just me.

MF is a different matter.  I don't have the luxury of tilt, so I carefully
check the near and far distances and split the difference.

Regards, Pete