[LargeFormat] 72-80-90-110-150

george day largeformat@f32.net
Sat Apr 20 16:01:14 2002

Yes, another dilemma.

First of all, I quickly realized that I couldn't part with all my LF gear
for the next year.

Second, here's the thing:

For 4x5 wide-to-normal, my current spectrum is:

Sch. 72xl, Ro. 90/4.5 Gran-N, Ro. 150 Apo-Sir-S.  Okay, and Ro. 210 Ap.
Sir-S, if you must insist.

Here's the thing: bloody sharp as the 150 is, I find the focal length a
little, well, boring. Don't use it very much.  But getting something wider
puts me awfully close to the 90, and the dominoes fall from there.

So I've been thinking about the Sch. 80xl and 110xl to replace the first
three lenses in the above list.  First of all, has anyone used both the Sch.
and those lenses above, and what do you think?  I fell into the Rodenstock
habit more or less by accident, but I'm very pleased -- to my eyes, their
lenses are sharper, useful corner to useful corner, than the Sch.
equivalents.  Then again, those XLs have awfully large image circles...

Any thoughts or comments?  Would anyone find the 80 not quite wide enough?
Please, any and all thoughts or advice welcome.