[LargeFormat] Bausch and Lomb Portrait Lens

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Sat Apr 13 09:20:58 2002

At 11:43 pm -0700 12/4/02, Les Newcomer wrote:
big snip

>Now after I typed all that, I found in "Handbook of Photography c1939, B&L
>made a Plastigmat Portrait lens.  Which has only a minicus front element and
>an achromat rear cell (plano-concave cemented to a convex)
>
>It has a field of view of 40 degrees, speed of f5.6 and were made in focal
>lengths ranging from 9-18.

Les,

You are the fountain of all knowledge when it comes to these old
lenses. Thanks for all that info. Exactly what was required :-)

The 15" f5.6 E.F Plastigmat Portrait lens here has a cemented rear
cell - I know this because there is about 1/8" separation in the
balsam running around the outside of the rear cell - nothing to worry
about.

The E.F probably stands for Effective Focal Length.

I had guessed that the front cell was a simple single element and am
intrigued to discover that it is a Protar design. The diaphragm is
very close to the front meniscus element.

I just took the beast outside and from the ground glass cannot see a
soft focus effect - but I probably need to focus on a definite
subject ie a person rather than foliage to really check this out.

The lens has no shutter and I was surprised not to find a Packard
attached to the back of the lens board, nor any evidence of one that
may have been removed. I guess this was a lens cap shutter
arrangement but would have thought that film speeds were fast enough
in the 30's to warrant some form of shutter. Particularly given the
fast speed of the lens at f5.6 How do you think it was used in the
studio?

Having looked through the ground glass I find that it is in fact a
5x7 back - doh!

So am looking for a 4x5 and 8x10 back now :-)