[LargeFormat] Re: Lensboards on the road, bellows in the bushes, tripod in the trees.

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Tue Apr 9 20:27:34 2002

Yes!  It's a multifocal telefocal usually has a 3-8x "zoom"  they are made
by placing a negative element behind a relatively normal lens.  Mine is a 7"
dagor in a sector shutter.  so it works as a 21-56" lens,  now at 3x it
won't cover 4x5,  and at 8x it will cover the earth.

but there are drawbacks.  you end up with a 5 to 8 stop light loss, and you
best to put it on something very sturdy as a 56" lens is prone to the
slightlest vibration.

these were also available in tessars, and Protars.  Mine is small about 7"
long.  The others I've seen are more like 10-14" and the flange is not
balanced, so it won't work with on axis movements like a deardorf.

theres a Pic of mine somewere in the Lenses section of the
f32 website.

Les