[LargeFormat] A New Toy

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Tue Apr 9 01:47:02 2002

Grafmatics are plentiful, but there  are variations that you need to be
aware of. Don't get into a hurry or you'll bend a septum every time and
watch what you buy on ebay.  This is one place where I'd ask what the return
policy is if the septums are bent, if they have an attitude, then walk away
from the computer.

Just for 4x5 there are two versions that fit a Graflok back and one that
fits a Graflex back. Graflex backs are found on the big SLR type Graflexes
(RB series B, Super D, etc. and occasionally a Speed)

They are not interchangeable, and the Graflex versions are much more rare.

They are noted on the back as either "Graflex Grafmatic" or "Graphic
Grafmatic" and I think the part number is 1268 on the Graphic.

There was a slight change during the model run. Late versions will lock up
completely when the counter reaches X.  Early versions lock up the film but
will still allow you to pull the assembly in and out as though film was
being shuffled even though it isn't.

that was clear as mud. Lets try again.

To operate a Grafmatic you put the holder in the camera, pull the darkslide,
(one sheet of film pops forward) and push the darkslide back in (behind the
film).  You then expose the film, grab the silver lever next to the
darkslide and pull the stack of film out (which allows the exposed sheet to
fall to the back of the stack)  As you push the stack back in the counter
advances. In the early version, when you get to X you cant pull the
darkslide, but you can pull the stack out and back in.  With the later
version the whole thing locks up.

As for a build date.  Graflex wasn't great about keeping good records or
even good methods.  Serial numbers were assigned in large lots and then used
as needed. As you get into the 50s the lots tend to be around 1500-3000 and
there can be two years or more between the first and the last.

this number is from a batch of 25,000 dated 2/21 probably '49.

Les