[LargeFormat] Making Water in the Dark

Don Feinberg largeformat@f32.net
Wed Apr 3 12:04:16 2002

> I think for B+W you need to read the latest in Ilford's literature on
> archival printing.   They propose that we fix too long, getting the fixer
> deep into the paper, causing long wash times to remove that fixer.  Their
> proposal is to.use a strong quick ix, folloed by a 2 stage quick wash....
> and they claim this is archival in process.....

For this reason I fix -- with excellent results:

1) Alkaline fixer only, never "hypo".

2) Fixing of prints:  1 minute maximum fix; wash in rotary washer / flowing
water for 20 minutes.

3) Fixing of films: 2.5 minutes maximum fix; wash in a film washer which
changes the water completely once per minute (flush and refill) for 15
changes.

Don Feinberg
donf@cybernex.net