[LargeFormat] Making Water in the Dark

rstein largeformat@f32.net
Wed Apr 3 04:29:50 2002

Ah, Dear,

     We seem to have upset someone. Pity, because that isn't the intention
of these postings. It is always sad when an attempt to amuse fails, though
nowhere near as awkward when the reverse happens - when you try to infuriate
someone and they just blandly smile on....

     Still, I'm sorry the chap has rung off as he might have known the
answer to my PHOTOGRAPHIC ENQUIRY. Here goes.

     We are in the grip of a drought here in Perth and a dusty old grip it
is going to be if the winter rains do not come. I am looking forward to a
time when we may have water restrictions and what it might do do my darkroom
work. I use standard processes for C-41, RA-4 and B/W and they all need
water for washing.

     I already use resin-coated papers for preference so there is a water
saving there. I use Nova speedwash tanks so that is also more economical
than some washers. I am starting to follow the advice given by an English
author re. washing in the Jobo tanks and I seem to be able to do a Multi
Tank 2 on C-41 with 4 litres of water.

     But I have also heard that there are chemical baths that obviate
washing of paper or film altogether after the fixing or blixing is done. Was
this just a rumour or do such things exist? Would the use of a wash-aid such
as Ridfix or Hypo Clearing Agent be any assistance to further lower wash
times?

     Final note - yes, I have heard some people say that the digital
darkroom is the logical step - but I am set up for chemical and know it and
prefer it. I just need a strategy in place to cope with the water crisis.

    Uncle Dick