[LargeFormat] Cleaning Metal

philip.lambert largeformat@f32.net
Sun Mar 31 11:52:12 2002

> Take them to a jeweler.  If they are heilooms I am sure you would not want
> to destroy them with a houshold cleaner that you were told to use by
someone
> on the internet.
>
>      I have a couple of pairs of turn-of-the-last-century opera glasses
that
> are family heirlooms. They have mother of pearl inlays and gold work, but
> there must be some brass in there as there are also some green corroded
> areas.      Does anyone know what can be used to clean this sort of thing?
>
>      Is this also applicable to older brass-barreled lenses? I have a
couple
> of oddities given to me that might be usable if they could be salvaged.
> Thanks in advance for the technical assistance.
>
>       Uncle Dick
>

> Greetings Uncle Dick,
>
> If these are heilooms, then surely you'll want to treat them
appropriately.
> If however you want to tinker, there's a product sold in the USA called
> Brasso.  I don't know if it's available in your neck of the woods, but
it's
> a good brass cleaner.
>
> Regards, Pete

Dear Uncle Dick, careful,  you wouldn't want Brasso all over that sharp suit
we all admire.   (Don't sniff it directly from the bottle- it really makes
your eyes water ) If the brass is lacquered you might be nackered- you can't
get the Brasso onto the metal if the lacquer is in the way.   I had an old
brass microscope that could only have been made shiny by dipping first in
paint stripper. I didn't try it. Philip