[LargeFormat] Re: Filter set-up for 58mm SA XL?

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Mar 28 05:35:01 2002

At 9:44 pm -0500 27/3/02, Jon wrote:
snip

>Hmm, is there really going to be much of a difference between the 89B and
>the 88A? I'm already on a tripod...
>

>>  A few people have made complaints about Roland's cut and rolled HIE
>
>I've heard the same things... and that the film is very 'curly.'
>
>>  The site listing infrared filter characteristics, wavelengths and
>>  exposure recommendations for particular filters/film is of course,
>>  http://www.infraredfaq.org  but you probably knew that already?
>
>But of course...  :)
>
>What I would like to see is the listing of all the nomenclature used by the
>different filter manufacturers. Maybe a matrix that says an 89B is a B+W 092
>and a RM90 is a... you get the idea. I know how to find it out, but it might
>be really good for people just learning IR. Maybe a few modifications to
>your FAQ?  :)
snip

The short answer is yes!  The 88A does not allow any (to all intents
and purposes) visible light to pass whereas the 89B doeas allow some
red spectrum light. Have a look in the FAQ for suggested EI for MACO.
I would not use an 88A with Konica 750IR film. That is not to say
that you cannot use an 88A with Konica film - just that it would be
so slow as to make it very difficult to use and image quality may
suffer.

The listing that you would like to see is already in the FAQ!!! I
have even colour coded the entries to show the type of light passed
by the filters - goes from red to black indicating no visible light.
Check out section 12 "Which Infrared Filters?".