[LargeFormat] Plate Holders

Les Newcomer largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 27 10:58:00 2002

I have a plate holder adapter for a big kodak folder.  I also have a feind
that has a Jewl or juel,  well it's a jewel but spelled differently. Both of
these cameras use single plate holders made of brass. there were sheet film
versions of the same thing.

I've got Klapp Reflex with several of these single holders in 9x12 cm.

I also ended up some how with some single film  holders that are slightly
smaller than 6x9cm. Again out of brass.

By the 40s these things had been relegated to the attic. And I'm sure during
the cleaning of the attic to deter incendiary fires from the Axis bombs, the
camera being prettier than the holders may be put on the mantle or on the
nick nack shelf, but the holders went to the scrap drives during WWII.

My guess is the non professional went out with no more than 6 single holders
for a day's jaunt in the Duryea, as the idea was to have a good time with
your gal and take some picture, not have your gal luck all of your equipment
up the hill.

les